GTRPWR Forums  

Go Back   GTRPWR Forums > General > Media

Old 05-08-2010   #16
Terrh
RB20DET

My Ride: 1992 GTR
Default Re: R35 Brake Pictures + Extras

almost every OEM rim (probably 99.99% of OEM wheels produced) are cast. If they're good enough for the factory, they're good enough for me.

I am pretty sure I'll end up buying a set of P45R's for my R32 just because I can't find the wheel I want (BBS LM) in the size I want (17x10) at any price, and the P45R is my second choice.

It's easy to make STRONG cast wheels. It's harder to make strong, light cast wheels, but it can still be done.
1991 miata - drift king
1994 FWD DSM - burnout king
Terrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010   #17
Zacho
GT30RB

My Ride: RB25 "Lexus"

It goes both ways for any kind of rim I think. Rotas are extreme bang for the buck, they come in good sizes/offsets etcetc. I agree with what Jon said about the whole need/want expensive wheels deal.

Damien if what you say is right (i would assume so) for the rpf1 and r33 wheels breaking in that one spot...it looks like the gold rota did too just the owner drove on it longer after it cracked. Who knows though...

Here is a rays. Owner was on Zilvia and said he tracked his car for a weekend, washed the brake dust off and noticed it.

Zacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010   #18
4jo3
RB20DET

My Ride: 1992 Nissan Skyline GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrh View Post
almost every OEM rim (probably 99.99% of OEM wheels produced) are cast. If they're good enough for the factory, they're good enough for me.

I am pretty sure I'll end up buying a set of P45R's for my R32 just because I can't find the wheel I want (BBS LM) in the size I want (17x10) at any price, and the P45R is my second choice.

It's easy to make STRONG cast wheels. It's harder to make strong, light cast wheels, but it can still be done.

Hmm... i would disagree with 99.99% of OEM wheels being cast. I haven't looked it up but I know for a fact there are a lot of audis that come stock with forged wheels. Saying that, most people dont need forged rims but they are nice. Obviously they are lighter and therefore there is less unsprung mass which means more mpg. Heck, most of the rims I have are forged and I can tell you I notice a big difference between my big cluncky cast heavy ones and my light forged ones.
4jo3 is offline   Reply With Quote